Historic Preservation

Preservation of Bedford’s rich and varied architectural heritage is fundamental to maintaining the town’s distinct historic character and unique appeal. Bedford has long been in the forefront of historic preservation, actively working to protect its historic resources for over a century.

Thanks to decades of preservation efforts by town residents, Bedford retains a remarkably diverse variety of historic structures, from colonial-era homes to early 20th century “Hilltopper” mansions, as well as early barns and vernacular outbuildings representative of the Town’s agrarian past.

Historic properties in Bedford are subject to review by one of three Commissions, depending on location:

Bedford Village Historic District Review Commission
Katonah Historic District Advisory Commission
Historic Building Preservation Commission

 

 
Historic Preservation
Bedford: A Guide

click to view

 Historic Building Preservation Commission

Current Members
John Stockbridge, Chairman
Amy Parsons
Shelley Smith
John Sullivan
Kate Terry

914-666-4434
Contact – Kim Kowalski, Secretary
Email:
Kim Kowalski

This Commission (HBPC) was formed in order to protect and preserve buildings in the Town of Bedford, which have or represent distinctive elements of the Town’s historical, archaeological, architectural or cultural past that are not part of the Town’s historic districts. The Commission is comprised of five members that are appointed by the Town Board. The Town’s Historic Building Preservation Law provides a Tier system of historic priorities prioritizing their significance. Only Tier 1 buildings require Commission approval for demolition or significant alteration. The law provides a list of “as-of-right” activities that do not require approval. The Law also requires that the Town prepare and maintain a Survey of Historic Buildings.

 

Bedford Village Historic District Review Commission

  • Established in 1972
  • Five members, 3-year term appointment
  • Meets monthly on “as needed” basis

Current Members
Clayton Rose,
 Chair
Shawn Carmody
Mary Cox
George Henschel

Craig Intinarelli

The Historic District Review Commission was established to protect and perpetuate places and buildings having a special historic aesthetic interest or value within the Bedford Village hamlet. The area, designated as a historic district, dates from the founding of Bedford in 1680 and contains a number of historic landmarks, including the Village Green and a colonial graveyard and public and private buildings that display the architecture of the period from the 1700s to the present.

The Review Commission is charged with regulating the construction of new buildings and the reconstruction, alteration and demolition of existing buildings, including outbuildings, walls, fences, steps and signs.

Town Building Department – 914.666.8040 

 

Katonah Historic District Advisory Commission

The Commission is responsible for maintaining the historic character of the hamlet, a rare surviving example of a turn of the century planned community and as the ‘village that moved.’ Most of the buildings in the area were either built or moved to their present sites within the 15-year period from 1885 to 1910 and present a microcosm of American architectural styles during that period. The area includes and surrounds the Katonah Greens, an integral part of the plan designed for Katonah by the landscape architects G.S. and B. S. Olmstead.

The Commission reviews any major changes to exterior appearance.

Traducir al español

 Stay Informed

Join our mailing list and receive newsletters, reports and emergency updates.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Stay Informed

Get updates from Recreation and Parks 

You have Successfully Subscribed!