of Public Works
Road Paving in Bedford NY Begins
Tuesday, October 13, 2020
Click here for Paving Schedule
Senior Office Assistant
From its garage and offices on Adams Street and an auxiliary site on Crusher Road in Bedford Village, the highway department’s 22 employees plow snow, repair roads, keep drains clear, maintain commuter parking lots and bridges throughout Bedford.
The Highway Department will pick up loose leaves in designated hamlet areas, typically properties of one acre or less, between October 1 and November 15 each year. The estimated collection schedule and designated hamlet areas are listed on a leaf schedule which is posted on the Highway web site each fall. At all other times, leaves must be bagged for pickup. We also pick up Christmas trees in January and early February. Once collected, these items are deposited at the Town’s own composting operation and the mulch that is created over time is used to enrich the soils and plantings around Town parks and office buildings. Click here for the 2020 Leaf Pickup Schedule.
Leaf pickup is a costly venture. The vast amount of leaves picked up by the Town, require tax dollars for labor and equipment, as well as composting and disposal. In an effort to continue this service but also reduce costs, the Town no longer provides brown paper bags. The Highway Department will continue to pickup bags, but residents will need to purchase them on their own. These degradable bags are sold locally at Mill River Supply in Bedford Hills and Kelloggs & Lawrence in Katonah and at most other hardware stores.Please be aware that only leaves and small twigs should be put into bags. Bags filled with dirt, rocks, grass clipping and branches will not be accepted since they make composting very difficult and, due to the weight of each bag, require more labor and equipment.
We encourage residents to compost whenever possible. Literature on composting is available in the Town Clerk’s Office, 321 Bedford Road, and the Highway Division, 301 Adams Street.
In addition, each Spring the Highway Division conducts town wide cleanup days at its Crusher Road site. Residents may bring all unwanted household items except for batteries, tires and paint. Other items such as old bicycles, barbecues, lawn mowers and furniture may be brought to the site. Posters are placed around the Town announcing the dates of the cleanup, usually in the earlier part of May.
Storm/Tree Debris Removal
August 9, 2020
Due to the impact of Tropical Storm Isiais, the Town of Bedford Department of Public Works (DPW) is making available tree debris disposal for residents.
- Pick Up DPW will pick up storm debris (logs and brush only, not bulk leaves).
- All storm debris must be out at the edge of the property by August 20.
- Debris must be placed so that it does not interfere with traffic.
- Please minimize the quantity you leave out for pick up since it may end up in place for an extended period.
- The Town will only collect up to two cubic yardsof material per household from the recent storm. Any material beyond two cubic yards will be left behind and must be removed by the property owner. Debris pickup will occur once per road.
Once the DPW comes through each street, we will not come back for storm debris.
Logs over 10” in diameter shall not be greater than 3’ in length. It will likely take at least three months to complete this task, so please be patient.
- Beaver Dam Compost FacilityThe Town of Bedford Beaver Dam Compost Facility is also open for residents in non-commercial vehicles to dispose of recyclable wood waste (logs and branches up to 6” diameter, brush, and leaves, not bulk leaves) Monday to Friday from 7:30 to 3:00, excluding town holidays.
The Town encourages all Bedford residents to consider managing their own organic waste on site. Composting and leaf mulching are relatively simple ways to cope with organic materials and there is the added advantage of saving the Town of Bedford significant funds if residents limit the amount of organic waste put out on the curb for our DPW to pick up. Contact Bedford DPW at 666-7669 with any questions.